• DO always follow the restrictions that your surgeon gives you.
• DON’T try to do too much too soon.
• DO prepare yourself for not just the physical recovery, but the mental and emotional recovery.
• DON’T handle wounds until you are instructed to do so.
• If you have joint surgery, DON’T fly until recommended by your surgeon due to the risk of blood clots.
• If you go on a trip and are driving, DO perform periodic ankle pumping exercises while seated in the car and stop every hour to get out and walk.
BY CARRIE VITTITOE